The International Map Year is supported by the United Nations Committee of Experts on Global Geospatial Information Management (UN-GGIM) and the UN Regional Cartographic Conference of Asia and Pacific. Initiatives have been taken to make IMY a real UN year. However, time is too short to get a formal resolution from the UN General Assembly.
UN-GGIM is now organizing itself for promoting geographic information and for taking over the UN Regional Cartographic Conferences. The ones in Americas, Africa and Asia including the Pacific will be extended with one for Europa.
IMY was presented by Georg Gartner at the UN-GGIM meeting at the UN headquarter in New York, August 6–8, 2014. The presentation was well recieved and the resolution states:
The committee endorses the International Map Year 2015–2016 as proposed by the International Cartographic Association as a valuable means to promote the importance of maps and Geoinformation.
– GGIM Report on the fourth session (6–8 August 2014), see point 4/111(f) on page 11.
The next UN-GGIM meeting is the 3rd High Level Forum in Beijing, China October 22–24, 2014, where IMY was further discussed without any change in the resolution taken in New York.
At the UN Regional Cartographic Conference of Asia and Pacific in Bangkok in October 2012, the conference adopted a resolution stating that, on behalf of UNRCC, ICA should organize the International Map Year 2015. The resolution from the Bangkok conference reads as follows:
- Recognizing the enormous benefit of reliable and authoritative geospatial information and maps in decision making for sustainable use of natural resources, economic development and for community well being;
- Noting the need to promote geospatial information education and training for national governments, decision makers, the geospatial industry and users;
- Also noting the preparations made by the International Cartographic Association ad-hoc committee for the International Map Year, and the support by the Joint Board of Geospatial Societies (JB-GIS) on this initiative;
- Recommends the International Cartographic Association (ICA) to organize an International Map Year in 2015.